You have moments with your children where you think to yourself--I want to remember this forever (particularly the next time I am truly annoyed with you, and threatening some form of corporal punishment). Today was one of those moments for me. Watching my lovey boys swimming. It's at least 103 degrees in the shade outside, and we are essentially swimming in bath water -- and I know all of us will be seeing a dermatologist about skin cancer in years to come, but it's one of my favorite things in the world. And J & N, you were amazing...truly you take my breath away.
Jake, when you were little I thought you might never learn how to swim. You might have been the only adult to have to were a life vest when you went to pool parties. You were so incredibly terrified of the water. I think you truly thought that I might just walk away and let you drown. No matter that you were wearing a life jacket and floaties and sitting in an inflatable car. But, last year you started to surprise me -- I could see you beginning to take a few risks and challenge yourself a little bit. And now, you are trying to learn how to dive and picking things up of the bottom of the pool, handstands, sommersaults -- someday these might not seem like the huge accomplishments that they are, but today -- for me -- you have scaled Mount Everest. I love that you are having fun and pushing yourself. You are so incredibly capable -- you just have to give yourself a chance.
Nick, oh my sweet little Bodee, my heart leaps and then stops when I watch you. I told your dad tonight that you are the only person I know who could bend the will of God. You are such a fearless force. I love that you leap first and try things with wild abandon--and I hate that you leap first and try things with wild abandon. You are convinced that you can do whatever your brother can do, and that you MUST keep up. Today as I watched you swim I am alternately shaking my head and smiling with delight and trying to catch my breath and keep up with you. I imagine this will be our pattern for the rest of our lives. I love that you are so brave, you make me want to be brave too.
And I love that we are all so exhausted that we can't keep our eyes open and we have sunburns that sting just enough to remind us of how much fun we had...you are joy to me...
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment